Website Sutherland Labs
Are you eager to shape employee and customer experience for some of the world’s most innovative organizations? Want to join a diverse team of researchers, strategists, and designers working on exciting challenges across industries?
Sutherland Labs is an experience design agency with offices in San Francisco and London. We combine research, strategy, and design to create solutions that not only grow businesses, but also enhance everyday lives. We’re a group of curious thinkers who collaborate in a hands-on environment where taking a different perspective is paramount.
We’re looking for a Design Researcher to join our San Francisco team for a 6-month contract. Possibility for a full-time conversion after contract, based on performance and business need.
As a Design Researcher you’re on a mission to uncover human needs and behaviors, to inform the development of smart, inspired, human-centered solutions. You’re able to dig deeper to uncover unexpected insights. You have a firm grasp of how content, brand, and design work together to create an optimal user experience. You understand the importance of working with a broad range of stakeholders to understand the broader business strategy that informs the solution.
You’re a natural collaborator, looking to establish yourself in a cross-functional team that brings together different perspectives. You’re up to date with the latest research methods and want to build your experience in applying them in a professional setting.
- Create high-quality research deliverables, including insights reports, journey maps, service blueprints, process flows, storyboards, video highlights (with support from our in-house visual designers)
- Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team and support all stages of the design process, from early problem definition and design research through to implementation
- Participate in client meetings and co-creation workshops to capture business requirements and explore customer experience challenges
- Respond creatively to bid requests, helping to scope projects and win new work
- Be an ambassador for design thinking, innovation, and human-centered design
- Support a broad range of projects and client engagements
- Examples of your research outputs, ideally showcasing your professional experience
- Experience working on complex, time-sensitive projects (B2B and B2C) with multidisciplinary teams across complex organizations
- Strong written communication and verbal presentation skills
- Strong understanding and demonstration of human-centered design principles
- Ability to embrace the unknown and inspire new ways of thinking
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Anthropology, Human-Computer Interaction, Design, or a related field; Masters preferred
- At least 2 years’ experience in the industry (or equivalent project experience) preferred
- Eligibility to work in the US permanently without sponsorship
- Availability for global and domestic travel
- Role is located in San Francisco, close to Embarcadero
- Fluency in Spanish and agency experience a plus