Senior Interaction Designer / UX Lead
at City of Austin in Austin, Texas
We’re looking for a senior interaction designer to serve on multidisciplinary project teams with career civil servants, actively demonstrating the value of iterative development and user-centered design. Our teams are working to improve a wide range of city services, including researching and redesigning our permitting processes, prototyping ways to change behaviors around recycling and composting, building the next generation of ATXFloods, improving the digital presence of our Convention Center, and creating city-wide standards for service design, web development, and user research.
You’ll also serve as an expert and educator in your discipline, establishing new practices that can work across departments and providing guidance and training for other fellows and city staff.
$75,000-$86,000, commensurate with experience
What you’ll do:
• Lead projects from a UX perspective, guiding the strategic vision while defining functionality, navigation, and interaction models
• Create artifacts to communicate with team members, stakeholders, and the public, including wireframes, prototypes, user journeys, sitemaps, personas, and functional specifications
• Guide and coach team members and stakeholders on design methods, especially colleagues who are taking on new tasks and roles within interaction design and user research
• Pursue continuing engagement with internal and external users, and participate in planning and conducting thoughtful and ethical user research
• Participate in establishing standards for services across the city to improve usability, accessibility, and efficiency
• Commit to making what we build fully accessible to the people we serve
• Work with stakeholders to assess legacy systems and identify opportunities for improved user experience and the sustainability of future systems
• Share what we make and how we make it through meetups, blog posts, and other functions
• Serve as a subject matter expert in the hiring process for additional Design, Technology, and Innovation Fellows
What we’re looking for
• 3+ years of professional experience designing large-scale interfaces, experiences, and applications
• Knowledge of lean and agile design methodologies, including expertise in determining when and how to use specific approaches, deliverables, and facilitation methods
• Experience planning, conducting, and analyzing qualitative user research
• Successful track record working with cross-functional teams to create great products and services, with proven skills in mentoring, presenting, product management, client partnership, and visual communication
• Knowledge of web standards and best practices related to accessibility, usability, and writing for the web
• A passion for public service and a commitment to doing the hard work that’s necessary to improve our city services
• Two years of relevant work experience
• Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a related field. An additional 4 years of experience can substitute this education requirement.
This is an opportunity for you to have a huge impact. Our city is responsible for providing necessary services to over a million people every day, and we need your expertise to help improve those services.
You’ll also join a growing community of civic leaders who are working to create a more open, accountable, and participatory government, and you’ll help us establish new standards and practices that we can share with other cities. For examples of these practices in action, check out the work from 18F, the US Digital Service, and the UK Government Digital Service.
Fellows are hired for a 1-year, extendable term. Learn more about the position and apply at austintexas.gov/innovation-fellows